Construction contract specialist.
Areas of Expertise
- Governing document analysis, interpretation, revision and enforcement
- Drafting, revising and negotiating complex construction contracts
- Drafting, review and analysis of vendor agreements
- Drafting, interpreting and enforcement of easements and maintenance agreements
- Real property and title issues
- Municipal law and local government collaboration
“We might be focused on the HOA world, but common interest development law intersects with many other disciplines,” says Andrew. “Whether it be contracts, municipal law, land use, or real estate work, there is a ton of variety. You never really know what to expect from one day to another.” That unpredictability is exactly what appeals to Andrew most about common interest development (CID) general representation. And that flexibility combined with his affable nature is just one of the many reasons he was named a 2018 Northern California Super Lawyers® Rising Star.
Andrew began his career as a construction defect attorney but now focusses on the general representation of common interest developments in their day-to-day operations. He handles all aspects of associations’ corporate operations, including governance, elections, assessment issues, and member disputes. His cooperative, collaborative nature creates results, even in potentially adversarial situations such as contract negotiation. But what he likes best is at the end of the day, it all comes down to helping clients and advising them on how to best achieve their goals.
Experience & Background
- Representing homeowner associations since 2012
- Prior to joining HGCT in 2015, represented HOAs in litigation matters, including construction defect, lien and foreclosure actions, and association defense matters
- Before representing HOAs, worked as a securities litigator on cases involving stock price manipulation
Community Associations Institute (CAI)
Educational Community for Homeowners (ECHO)
California Association of Community Managers (CACM)
University of San Francisco School of Law
- Technical Editor, Maritime Law Journal
Whitman College, Walla Walla, WA
- BA in Political Science
Northern District of California
GET TO KNOW ANDREW
He especially enjoys helping clients navigate large reconstruction projects. Everything from hiring design experts and generating scopes of work, to selecting the repair contractor and drafting the construction contract.
- Diehard Warriors fan
- Plays in an over-thirty soccer league
- Brother is an astronomy professor
First job was working for the National Parks Service on Alcatraz Island.
Awards & Honors
2018 Northern California Super Lawyers® Rising Star
Presentations & Publications
Annual Case Law Review
- The Communicator; Winter 2016
Community Associations Institute (CAI), Bay Area/Central California Chapter
Board Member Education
Management Company and Board Education Events
- New Legislation and Case Law Update
- Enforcing Governing Documents
- Enforcing Rental Cap Limits
- Fines, Fine Policies and Rules
- Standard Contract Provisions