Multiple practice areas lead to versatile HOA representation.
Areas of Expertise
- General homeowner association defense and litigation
- HOA assessment enforcement and litigation
- Construction defect litigation
Early in Matt’s career, he had the opportunity to handle both civil and criminal matters, learning the skills required to successfully analyze and resolve most any claim made against his clients. Those skills translate to the varied and often complicated tasks he undertakes on behalf of homeowner associations, with his litigation practice focused on the recovery of unpaid HOA assessments through superior court civil actions and judicial foreclosure.
Matt also represents business owners, providing general business advice and counsel. His skill and experience allow him to handle complicated corporate matters such as buy-sell agreements and the sale of corporate assets. He also assists individuals in estate planning, wills, trusts, probate, estate administration, and the establishment of conservatorships and guardianships.
No matter the issue, Matt’s clients receive first-rate representation and advice.
Experience & Background
- Practicing law in the Walnut Creek area for more than 40 years
- Joined HGCT in 2008; named Principal in 2017
- Handled construction defect claims on behalf of building contractors, subcontractors, individual property owners and homeowner associations
- Represented numerous public entities in litigation actions including inverse condemnation, torts, ADA, housing discrimination, and civil rights issues in both state and federal courts
- Successfully tried numerous cases to verdict in various state courts in central and northern California and in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- Practiced in U.S. Bankruptcy Courts
- Argued appellate issues before the California Court of Appeals and the U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- Served as Judge Pro Tem in small claims court and acted as a mediator to settle superior court actions
Community Associations Institute (CAI)
Educational Community for Homeowners (ECHO)
California Association of Community Managers (CACM)
Contra Costa County Bar Association
Los Angeles County Bar Association
University of California, Hastings College of the Law
St. Mary’s College of California
- BS in Mathematics
U.S. Court of Appeal, Ninth Circuit
Northern District of California
Eastern District of California
Central District of California
GET TO KNOW MATT
Matt was born and raised in San Francisco in a classic Irish Catholic family. He met his wife by way of a whitewater rafting trip on the Rogue River. They have three daughters and three grandchildren. For many years he coached girls basketball and soccer teams in Berkeley and Walnut Creek.
- Lifelong Giants, 49ers and Warriors fan
- Brews his own beer
- Favorite book is Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury
Enjoys hikes throughout California, and in Arizona, Washington and Oregon.
Presentations & Publications
Manager and Board Member Education
Management Company and Board Education Events
- Collection Strategies
- Assessment Collections – Alternatives to Foreclosure Sale
- Collection of HOA Dues In and Out of Bankruptcy
Additional Educational Topics
- Wills and Trusts
- Unlawful Detainers after Foreclosures