Creative resolutions. Informed clients. Rest assured.
Areas of Expertise
- Construction defect claims and litigation
- High-rise and mid-rise
- Building-wide systems performance
- Structural and soils movement
- Materials failure
- Insurance coverage impacts in construction litigation
David is involved in all aspects of the firm’s construction defect work – from initial claim investigation through resolution by settlement or trial. With substantial first chair trial experience, he has tried multiple construction litigation cases to judgement and has favorably resolved hundreds of matters in mediations and court settlement conferences.
His varied background gives David a unique understanding of the construction litigation process. His in-depth construction insurance knowledge allows him to resolve matters favorably by triggering specific insurance coverage provisions which fund defect claims. And his “behind the scenes” courtroom experience – as a clerk, mediator, and judge pro tem – gives David judicial insight allowing him to anticipate potential scenarios which may play out during hearings and trial, prepare for them in advance, and adeptly respond in the courtroom.
Clients appreciate that this expertise doesn’t come in a stereotypical “stuffed-shirt” package. David says, “I’m just myself. I don’t buy into the stiff lawyer persona.” He ensures his clients understand both the problems and the processes, involves them in the strategy discussions, and works to alleviate concerns along the way.
Experience & Background
- Joined HGCT in 2015 as Senior Counsel; named Principal in 2017
- More than 18 years construction litigation experience
- Settlement Judge Pro Tem, Marin County Superior Court
- Discovery Law and Motion Judge Pro Tem, San Francisco County Superior Court
- Certified mediator
- Construction insurance law focus early in career
- Significant appellate court experience
Community Associations Institute (CAI)
Educational Community for Homeowners (ECHO)
California Association of Community Managers (CACM)
San Francisco Bar Association
Italian American Bar Association
University of San Francisco School of Law
- Law Review
University of California, San Diego
- BA in Cognitive Psychology, minors in Literature and Italian Studies
U.S. Court of Appeal, Ninth Circuit
Northern District of California
Eastern District of California
Central District of California
Southern District of California
GET TO KNOW DAVID
Clerked for the Hon. Carlos T. Bea, San Francisco County Superior Court, while in law school. Judge Bea currently serves on the U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit. Also during law school, David interned at the San Francisco County District Attorney’s Office handling felony preliminary hearings and worked on the University of San Francisco Law Review.
- Fourth generation San Franciscan
- Alumni of San Francisco’s St. Ignatius College Preparatory
- Eagle Scout and Order of the Arrow, Boy Scouts of America