Experienced HOA litigation and transactional paralegal.
Areas of Expertise
- Assists attorneys in construction defect investigations and litigation
- Site inspection coordination between association managers, consultants, experts, homeowners, and defense representatives and experts
- On-site management during defect investigation, testing, and site inspections
- Litigation record management including homeowner, developer, contractor, subcontractor, and expert investigation records and reports
- Assisting with pre-trial preparation including managing formal and informal document production and deposition summaries
- Exclusive construction defect caseload since 2016
Judy is the one paralegal at HGCT who has worked with both the homeowner association general counsel and litigation teams. She enjoys both, but now exclusively works in litigation. She previously spent two years in construction defect insurance defense and eight years in complex family law litigation.
Judy enjoys the variety of issues and nuances that come with construction litigation, ranging from architectural and structural defects to foundation and soils issues, which can be complex and intertwined. One of her favorite aspects of the job is the field work, managing construction defect investigations, working closely with the attorneys and defect experts, keeping managers and homeowners apprised of each step, and ensuring concerns and issues are proactively addressed.
She says, “our goal is to ensure managers and homeowners understand and are comfortable with the construction defect investigative process which can be a complex undertaking. It’s important to be available to address concerns so we can earn the trust of the homeowners.”
Experience & Background
- Joined HGCT in 2015
- Nearly two years HOA transactional and governing document work with HGCT
- Two years’ experience as a paralegal with an insurance defense law firm specializing in construction defect litigation
- Eight years family law litigation and mediation experience
- As education chair of the Paralegal Section of the San Francisco Bar Association, recruited educational speakers and coordinated paralegal educational seminars and CLE programs
- Worked as an IT project manager for Access Bank in the United Kingdom and a database designer for Esprit de’ Corps prior to becoming a paralegal
- Completed the California Association of Community Managers (CACM) California Law Series courses
Mount Diablo Legal Professionals Association (2009 to 2017)
San Francisco Bar Association (BASF)
- Paralegal Section, Executive Committee, Education Committee Chair (2014 to 2015)
University of San Francisco
- BS in Information Systems Management
JFK University, Pleasant Hill
- Paralegal Certificate
California Notary Public
GET TO KNOW JUDY
Judy’s perfect vacation includes hiking, cooking and adventure. She has hanged glided over Ocean Beach, climbed “Dead Woman’s Pass” along the Salkantay/Inca Trail at an elevation of over 15,000 feet, and rafted the class five Zambezi River. Judy also enjoys spending time with and cooking for her family and friends.
- Has two adult daughters, one living in Ireland
- Lived and worked in London
- Takes tango and swing dance classes
Was chased up a baobab tree by a white rhino in Africa.
- Hike leader for local hiking Meet-Up group, with over 2,000 members, organizing hikes in the Bay Area and throughout the western U.S.
- Annual fundraising walk (1996 to 2002)